YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

compost
clauszander
#1 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 7:43:19 PM

Groups: Registered

Has anyone experimented with using compost on the sod field or in the seed bed?
turfman67
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:08:33 PM

We have used Biosolids its not really a compost product but has similar qualities of compost. Major concern is not to apply to heavy.
gordyturf
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:11:09 AM

I have a contact who has used leaf litter collected from the streets of a nearby town. The product was delivered for free. He did work with the EPA ahead of time and had an agreement that all waste and trash would be removed from the leaf litter once it was spread on the field. They did this by walking the field after the material was spread. They built a mound and dumped trucks on the top and pushed the leaf matter over the edge into a manure spreader. I believe the application was several inches deep across the field. This individual was trying to build organic matter in a no till row cropping situation. He said it was very beneficial for the soil but he discontinued the operation because of issues with the city.
plantec
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:12:37 AM

We have used Compost, this year in our farm , It costs 100 € (133 $) per 14 sqaure meter, (494.405 334 cubic foot), used in a soil after 10 years of turf coltivation, it has given benefits, in very short time. I'll be more precise when i will harvest it, I don't know if it will have any influence on the sod.
If You want more details You can contact me.
Pinnacle Sod
#5 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 2:36:15 PM

We have used composted cattle manure on feild where sod is being grown. We applied approx 3-4 tonns per acre. the reason we did this was that the percentage organic matter was very low in our soil. With the compost you get a natural fertilizer (slow release, based on soil temp, water, microbes etc.) that is fairly cheap to buy and apply. we paid about $17/tonn CAN. from a local feedlot. when everything was delivered and spread the cost per tonn was about $25-26 per tonn. Another positive about compost if it is done right is that it should be free of weed seeds.
plantec
#6 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2010 11:45:01 AM

How did You spread it?
we use the sand spreader