YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Truck Carried Forklift
Tasbow
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:34:27 PM

Groups: Registered

I will soon be buying my first truck mounted forklift and was looking for some advice. Any help would be great.

Thanks
colturf
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:31:05 PM

Truck mounted forklifts are great. Our truck drivers avoid using the field lifts with a passion, instead using the mobile lifts even loading in the fields wet or dry and for big Roll and skids. Plus it is cheaper to operate the mobile forklifts than the field forklifts.

Quick mobility and ease of use is the first consideration, 1-2 minute savings per skid loading and unloading can save 40 to 80 minutes per truck delivery. How many deliveries per season? It adds up quickly.

A close second is service and parts availablity. Being able to get parts quickly keeps the deliveries rolling.
Note: Always source around for parts: I needed an replaceemnt altenator: The lift manufacture wanted $400; The engine manufacture wanted $300; and I bought on e-bay for $35/ea. After the first one worked great, I bought 2 more for the parts shelf. At that price I can't aford not to stock the part.

Then price, but still a signifcant consideration. I was able to buy 3 Navigators for the price of 2 Princetons. And I love the Navigators. Easy to use, easy to service and work on, and lots of power.

Let me know your choice and why?

farm
#3 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 8:06:52 PM

If you buy a teledyne(princeton) a great source of parts / advice would be McDonald Services in Bay City, TX or Beamer Piggyback in Cincinnatti both are extremely sharp and can help you with "common-sense" fixes on what may appear to be something major. Also, if you go with the princeton, we have three D-4500s with the "old-fashioned" stick-style steering and direction control and would not consider anything else. Happy shopping!
allgs
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:28:05 AM

Depends on the size of your trucks and distance to market. We've had many different makes over the years. Moffets were good but too heavy. We run many straight trucks so to have 2 tons hanging out the back will cause you to take 2 pallets off the load.
Using Donkeys now. Good machine in general...bad paint and minor repairs needed. Very fast to unload.
tater
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:36:21 AM

Are you looking for new or used! It is always nice to start out with new - when posible, price & budget can determine what lift will be the deciding choice. I a wait your respones to help yopu along the purchasing process.
Tasbow
#6 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 7:29:43 PM

I had posted this question back in 2010 so have since bought a Donkey 4K. Thanks for the info though.
allgs
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:20:43 AM

Good choice :O)
tyler
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 8:54:12 PM

I 2nd the good choice. I love mine. I had a spyder and princeton before.